Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Beginning Year 3 Post Transplant

It was between verses of the last hymn Sunday as we (the choir) stood alongside the congregation that I realized that I had just passed the second anniversary of my transplant. It was strange that I hadn't been aware of the date as the first anniversary had been such a huge emotional event for me. It's not that I just forget about it, but rather that being a transplant recipient has become an integral part of the natural fabric of my life.

So rather than look back a second anniversary, I will look ahead to beginning year 3.

Besides, the big date this year was turning 60 a few weeks ago. Ouch, that hurt. 60 might be the new 50 and that's middle age, but 70 is next and that just damned old!

BK Virus is still the medical news. The number of copies in the serum tests have been as high as 3150 and the last number was 650, a new low. Had a Cidofovir infusion today and will repeat in two weeks before I see the doctor again and get results. They also doubled my leflunomide prescription to see if we can get this thing eradicated. 

Yikes, the nurse today was so stiff. Today was the third infusion he's administered and the second in two weeks. Yet he never smiled or showed any sign of recognition. Jeez! I work retail and remember customers and I see way more customers than he sees patients! Other nurses greet me by name so it doesn't seem so unreasonable...

Anniversary also means it's time for a Glofil test.  Glofil gives a detailed look at the Glomular Filtration Rate which is the ultimate measure of kidney function. Hydration is the name of the Glofil game. Preparation involves drinking water until it's leaking out your ears and then ingesting an Iodine stain and receiving an injection of radioactive sodium iothalamate. Then as you drink more water over the next three hours, blood draws and urine collections measure how well the kidney filters the solution out of the blood. Dallas Transplant administers the test several times during the first year post transplant, then it's done on an annual basis after that. I'll get the results when I go back to the clinic in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment